Charlotte Family Law Specialists
Request a Consultation 704.343.8811

4 Steps to Take if Your Co-Parent Stops Making Child Support Payments

It can be frustrating, at times even devastating, if your co-parent decides to stop making child support payments. Child support is essential for raising a child and taking care of certain life expenses, such as education, food, shelter, clothing, and more. So, what should you do if your co-parent suddenly stops paying support? Today, we go over 4 steps you can take to help you out. 

Just Because Your Co-Parent Is Not Making Payments Does Not Mean They Are Refusing To Do So

While it makes sense that you are annoyed with your co-parent, the truth of the matter is that there are several reasons why he/she has not made a payment. It is even possible he/she forgot to make them! Remember the supporting parent must make these payments or deal with certain consequences, such as having to pay back what they owe in arrears. Here are some steps to take if you notice your co-parent is late on a payment: 

Remind your co-parent about the payments and ask why they are late

We are all human, which means at times we make mistakes. It is totally possible that your co-parent simply forgot or needs to update their payment information. It is much easier to discuss this issue among yourselves than to get a lawyer involved.

It is also possible he/she is having a difficult time affording these payments, which means it may be time to modify your agreement. If this is the case, it would be best to go through the process of modifying the agreement with your lawyer.  

Additionally, while not common but possible, your spouse could be attempting to withhold money from you or get out of making payments. In this scenario, you will need to consult with your lawyer. Your co-parent can get into trouble for doing so and even be held in contempt of court for violating a court order. 

Collect records of payments

In the event you know your co-parent is refusing to make child support payments, you will need evidence of this. Gather payment records, such as bank statements, canceled checks, documentation of your attempts to connect with your spouse, and call your lawyer. 

Start a budgeting plan in the meantime

Any kind of financial adjustment takes some time to get used to, especially if you got accustomed to a certain lifestyle. Even if you feel comfortable with your financial situation, it is never a bad idea to take a look at your expenses and see if you can cut them down while you wait for your child support payments. 

Reach out to your attorney 

It is important to speak to your attorney about what is going with your situation. A lawyer can also determine if you should modify your agreement, enforce it, or hold your co-parent in contempt of court. Your co-parent cannot evade paying child support. A child support agreement can be modified, but he/she will need to make these payments unless a change of circumstances has happened or the child turns 18.

He/she could be punished with fines, jail time, a suspended driver’s license, and liens on bank accounts and property if these support payments are not made. 

If you need assistance enforcing or modifying a child support order, contact our office online or call us at (704) 343-8811 to schedule a consultation today.