Charlotte Family Law Specialists
Request a Consultation 704.343.8811

Can You Modify Child Support Payments if You Are Unemployed?

What to Know About Unemployment and Child Support

Many individuals found themselves without work during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are recently unemployed and trying to figure out how to cut expenses, you are not alone. You might be wondering if you are able to modify your child support payments at this time. While you cannot just stop paying child support, you can consider modifying your child support agreement. Today, we go over how to accomplish this with the help of an experienced Charlotte child support attorney.

How to Modify Your Child Support Agreement

Your child support agreement will continue until there is a change in circumstances that would warrant a modification. If you experienced a change in income or any other financial effect, you may request to modify your existing child support agreement.

Ways to modify your child support agreement or order:

  • Come to an agreement with your co-parent. You can seek out the help of a family law attorney and/or mediator at this time to help you negotiate fairly. Once you come to a new child support agreement, submit it to court.
  • If you and your co-parent cannot reach an agreement, the matter will go to the court where a judge will rule on it. Be prepared to show evidence of your unemployment, such as bank statements or proof that you are no longer employed.

Are You Required to Pay Support While Waiting for a Modification?

You are legally required to pay child support until the order has been modified. If you do not adhere to this, you could face serious legal consequences and could be held in contempt of court.

Hire a Child Support Lawyer in Charlotte for Assistance

If you are proactive and hire a child support attorney when you find out about your employment status, then you are setting yourself up for success. Your attorney will be able to guide you, help you file the appropriate paperwork, and protect your interests during the process. At Krusch Law, PLLC, our Charlotte child support attorneys can review your case, tell you which options would work best for you, and obtain the necessary proof to prove your unemployment.

Are you unemployed and need to modify your support agreement? Contact Krusch Law, PLLC online or call (704) 343-8811.