Charlotte Family Law Specialists
Request a Consultation 704.343.8811

What Can I Do If My Ex-Spouse Won’t Pay Child Support?

A family court order can cover a wide range of topics, including:

If one party violates a family court order, it can have a negative effect on all parties involved. For example, if your ex-spouse stops paying child support or never paid in the first place, you may have issues covering monthly expenses pertaining to the care of your child.  

Fortunately, you can take legal steps to get your ex to uphold court-ordered child support payments.

Civil Contempt of Court

A person can be held in civil contempt of court if they are not complying with a court order. In most cases (including failure to pay child support) a person can be indefinitely sent to prison until they agree to comply with the order.

The North Carolina civil contempt statute does not address any other punishment for civil contempt aside from imprisonment. However, as of 2013, a person may receive a monetary fine in addition to imprisonment.

Criminal Contempt of Court

If the offense is serious enough, a person can be held in criminal contempt of court. If your ex was previously held in civil contempt of court but continued to not pay child support, they could be held in criminal contempt of court.

The punishments for criminal contempt include:

  • a fine of up to $500; and
  • a minimum of 30 days in jail.

For failure to pay child support, your ex could face up to 120 days in jail.

Krusch Law, PLLC Is Here for You

If you are having trouble getting your ex to pay court-ordered child support, our contempt and enforcement attorney can help! We understand legal disputes between former spouses can become emotionally trying. Our aim is to take the legal burden off your shoulders so you can focus on family matters.

Call our firm today at (704) 343-8811 or contact us online to request a consultation.